Sunday, October 2, 2011

Nutritional information

One of the guests at Sewall House wanted to learn more about how to eat better.

What grains should I incorporate into my breakfasts?

I suggested that the grains include steel cut oats, amaranth, quinoa, sweet brown rice and teff and they should be rotated in order to get the nutrients from all.

How do I use the grains?

I suggested that they be soaked the night before as a time saver and also because they contain phytates or phytic acid which the body can not readily digest. The soaking makes them more digestible.

How do I prepare them?

I suggest two and a half parts liquid to one part grain.  Put the liquid in a sauce pan with a pinch of good quality sea salt, cover and let boil.  Then add the grain.  Keep an eye on the grains.  Once they absorb the liquid, you may need to add a little more until the mixture is creamy.  Top with slivered almonds, cinnamon and fruit.  The sweet rice can be enjoyed sweet or savory.  If savory, I suggest topping with a little soaked seaweed (arame is best) for iodine and minerals.

How is the seaweed prepared?

The arame is dried.  Break some off and put into a bowl.  Cover with water.  Let stand for about 10 to 15 minutes.  Then drain, and add minced garlic, minced ginger, a little tamari, rice vinegar, a splash of sesame oil and sesame seeds.

What other nutrients can I obtain at breakfast?

I suggest grinding chia and flax seeds in a coffee grinder and sprinkling them on your food.  This will assure you that you are getting the essential fatty acid known as omega 3 which is a crucial component of the diet.

No comments:

Post a Comment